The company Philipp Hafner GmbH & Co. KG was founded on April 1, 1928 by Philipp Hafner in Stuttgart. He hired four employees for the manufacture of high-precision parts and equipment. The leased workshop in Schönbühlstraße was already equipped with several machine tools from the very start.
Philipp Hafner started his business by manufacturing gauges and precision measuring equipment for customers such as Robert Bosch, Mahle and Daimler Benz. A large part of the orders consisted of contract manufacturing based on customer drawings
In 1944 the building in Schönbühlstraße was destroyed by an air raid. The Hafner family was saved but a large part of the machines were destroyed. For the following years the family established temporary headquarters in Affalterbach. In 1950 the company relocated to a new building in Fellbach.
In 1955, at the age of 62, Philipp Hafner retired from active work and handed over the business management to his son-in-law, Herbert Kress, who was active in the company until 1979.
As time went by, the measuring equipment became increasingly more complex. Manual measuring instruments became semi-automatic measuring machines. Single measurements became multi point measuring instruments. The application of inductive measuring sensors and electronic analysis followed soon after.
The sons-in-law of Else and Herbert Kress, the commercial general manager Paul Böhringer and the technical general manager Konrad Fischer, joined the company in 1978 and 1972 respectively.
The above average growth forced the company to look for a larger building in 1983 and this was found in Röntgenstraße 14, which is also in Fellbach. The company relocated in 1984. The building, which was more than 30 years old, was completely renovated and extended at the end of the 1990s. The outer facade and the interior rooms were thoroughly reconditioned. This generated a completely new and modern ambience.
In 2007, Konrad Fischer retired after more than 35 years. As part of the generation shift, Ulla Böhringer entered the company and has been a part of the management since 2008.
In April 2014, we gave the starting signal for another milestone in our company history – a new building in Blumenstraße in Fellbach. We moved into the new building in the middle of 2015. This modern location lays the foundation for future design and assembly of customized measuring technology for challenging measuring and testing tasks with a high level of Automation.